Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I re-read favorite childhood novel, and it did NOT stood the test of time. It was interesting to look at the book with a new perspective.
Ridley Pearson's The Kingdom Keepers was released in 2005, and I ATE IT UP! Seriously, I read the thing soooo many times when I was younger. It had a special place on my headboard, and it's the only book I read when I should have been sleeping.
The book is all about a group of kids and their adventures in Disney World. They battle a group of Disney Villains called the Overtakers.
Lets be clear on something.
I love Disney World, and I worked there. This summer, I was working or at the park EVERY DAY for three and a half months, so I know the place pretty well. Somehow, I did not get bored of it.
The book FULL of errors. I'm not talking a few things here and there; the book was totally inconsistent. Tons of things about the Disney Parks were flat out wrong. The characters used the same style of dialogue, even though they were distinctly different personalities. And from what I remember from the sequels, the characters are inconsistent.
But the book is lots of fun!
Ridley Pearson did create an entertaining product, even if it wasn't the most refined thing I've ever read. He seemed to base his facts on kids views of the Disney Parks, and didn't actually write about the true facts. I can see why he did that. Heck, when I was a kid, that's one of the things that made the book so magical. However, the characters bugged me because they seemed like five versions of the same person.
Anyway.
I edited my middle grade short story this week. Mostly everyone's comments were helpful., and I tried to make it stronger. Nothing too exciting.
That's really it.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting and sometimes sad to go back to old favorites and be disappointed. Shows how important research is.

    ReplyDelete